Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Fan Culture

Lately in class we have been talking about fan culture and the fanaticism that many people have over pop culture trends. I find fan culture very interesting as it can relate to many people at one time. When I think of fan culture, I tend to think of tweens and their fascination with things like Twilight and Harry Potter. The reason I think that I find fan culture so interesting is that I tend to be one of those people who hears about new movies or books that are popular I’ll look into them. I’m not saying I’m a bandwagon-er but I like to do research on popular culture. I’ll admit when I was in high school I was obsessed with Harry Potter, honestly ask me any question having to do with the books and I could answer it in 5 seconds flat.

I think that fan culture is so important to our lives these days because of things like Twilight and Harry Potter. Instead of giving our lives enjoyment through entertainment, these books and movies become a part of our lives. The books sell in astonishing capacity internationally and when they are made into movies the stars of the movies are seen as gods in their own right.

Take for instance Rob Robert Pattinson, he stars as Edward Cullen in the Twilight movies. Before this movie, he garnered slight fame appearing in the Harry Potter movies as Cedric Diggory, but as a result of Twilight he has been thrown into popular culture. Quickly doing a Google search for him his name receives 17,500,000 hits. How insane is that, he became popular in early 2008 when his name was thrown into the running for playing Edward Cullen and now he gets that many hits on Google.



Fan culture has become a part of our lives… especially if you’re a 13 year old girl. It seems that we associate fan culture with tween girls, but fan culture is spread around a large demographic of people (like fans of Lost).

Why is it that we assume all fan culture consists of 13 year old girls drooling over Robert Pattinson?

1 comment:

  1. As someone that's actively involved in fandom, I can definitely attest to the fact that it's mostly not 13 year old girls. (In fact, rarely do I ever stumble across someone who appears to be that young .. even in their teens - not terribly common).

    As for the why - Fandom isn't a legitimate way to spend one's time. Fandom isn't something that's socially acceptable.. mostly because people usually don't understand what fandom is.

    It's socially acceptable for younger people to be fanatical about their favourite band/actor or whatever else.. but as soon as you have people in their 30's who are completely devoted to a certain thing, and write fanfic in their spare time... suddenly, it's not so okay.

    So, we assume that it's all the young people because that's all that we're allowed to see, because it's all that's perceived to be "normal".

    ReplyDelete